Saturday 7 June 2014

Selling the project

Well folks, I think I have finally given up. I have bought another plane, started another metal project, set up self-employed and ...well, the list goes on. But the long and short of it is that I have run out of steam for my Austin 101 and need the garage and mental space.

Readers who have followed the project in the past will know how much work I have done on it over the years. Loads of metalwork. The engine now runs and is mounted back on the chassis in  front of the gearbox and shaft on fresh rubber mounts. 

It has new brakes, new hydraulic piping, new slave and master cylinders, a thousand pound's worth of 5 brand new classic tyres. Newly forged leaf springs all round and freshly mounted new shock absorbers. The scuttle is nearly ready to be mounted on the front of the chassis around a newly re-cored radiator, sitting on a newly fabricated frame. 

I shall be working my way through the receipts to try to work out just how much I have spent on parts over the years, and other than recouping the initial outlay, I only expect to recover the cost of parts and re-fabricated parts. 

Nothing will compensate for the thousands of hours spent on the project, but that never matters. Nobody does it for the money. It is all about the pleasure of the challenge. Someone keen could finish the project in about 6 months...,and I don't think I want to know about it when they do, because it is too frustratingly close to completion and I don't need my nose rubbed in it.

But I just know that I don't have the motivation, now, to finish it...and more importantly, I have other things making demands on my time.

So, get in touch if you are interested. If I don't sell privately in the next couple of weeks or so, I think I shall put it on ebay.

Read back through the blog to see what you'd be getting for your money.

No comments: