Thursday, 22 November 2007

It doesn't rain, but it pours!

First it is the welder, then it is my car battery, which has suddenly flattened itself, so that when I leapt in the car to pop over to Bennets to get a part for the welder, it wa-ah-aha-aha-ahed but wouldn't start. Damn. So, took the battery out today and have it on charge. May have to walk to school tomorrow.

Mate, John, always good with technical problems, came round and we took the main switch apart (diode not lighting), having found that the motor can be made to work off a 12V charger and that the fuse was ok. So we don't know what's up now because, using a bulb on the switch tabs we found that apart from the diode not lighting, all the other tabs would light a 12V car bulb. I did wonder if the entire circuit is being fused by the diode, of course, but it doesn't seem likely....being so inaccessible. So, we are a bit stumped and that is bloody annoying because the welding jobs are piling up and I can't afford to get someone to mend it.

May ask friendly electrician, Karl, up the road if he will run a multimeter over it and isolate the problem. Damn, wish it had simply been the toggle and easy to fix.

P&P Blasting told me the rear axle could be done for £50 ish, so I reckon I shall make myself happier and save a few bob by starting that manually tonight. I brought it inside today and put it back on blocks. I am afraid that leaving it our these last few years, albeit covered, hasn't done it any good.

Read here about Sealey and Bennett's, how the welder was repaired but how I felt ripped off

Monday, 19 November 2007

progress yesterday; frustrations today

Another of those frustrating days, today, where just about everything that could go wrong, did. Worst of all, the wire feed motor on welder stopped working and I still haven't worked out why; gas release servo works, as does hand switch, relay fuse seems ok, but tried bridging it and that didn't....not that it is a fair test because I am not 100% sure that the bridging was a good contact anyway (I'd only know that if it had worked) so I am no closer.

On the positive side, the foundation unit for the trailer hitch is concreted in now and the chassis is now in place in my neighbour, Paul's garage. The point about this garage is that it faces the road and has a double door and access is no longer a worry. I shall work on bits in my workshop, then carry them across Greta's garden, through the makeshift gate I made yesterday and into the garage to be assembled. The other great thing is that I no longer need to rent Greta's garden (though I have access) and the garage is costing me the same, so there is no net loss....and road access is gained - plus lots of room to the dry in the garage.

Sunday, 11 November 2007

Strain Stops Play

Bugger, I have strained my back again....and at a time when I have two days free in a row for van stuff. Utterly infuriating. Looks like I shall be catching up on my reading.

Thursday, 1 November 2007

Trailer locking post

In the last week or so I have been making this security post for my trailer. The trailer will be locked on to the ball hitch and the post will be locked upright, blocking the trailer in on my hard stand. The post will be welded into an anchor frame which will be set in the first layer of concrete, and the second layer of concrete will then fill up its sides to pavement level (over the cross bar which will anchor it further).

When folded down, the post will cross the pavement, allowing the trailer out over it and on to the road. I have yet to make the hitch lock, but otherwise it is all close to being done (and has only been delayed by my running out of Mig wire last night).