Wednesday, 6 November 2013


I have something like this is in mind for my 101, except with my milk float folding doors.

Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Back from the dead

So, in the year I hit 50 (still young!), I was hit by depression, work related stress and then was hospitalised with pulmonary embolisms in both lungs! Jeeezus!

Nearly dying is just about the best reason for not making progress on my Austin. But I am back from the dead, now, rattling with pills, and Martin and I have our mojos back.

A few days ago we fitted my new starter motor

Sunday, 10 March 2013

Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Making tools from scrap steel

Spent a couple of days re-organising my workshop, clearing out clutter and welding up new stands for fabrication tools. 

Making the quarterlight sill was tricky because I'd lost the base for the sheet bender and had to clamp the tool to a workmate. 
All very unsatisfactory. 
So I decided I needed to make something much more substantial.
 Sheet bender gets a rigid base

 A box section in front of the bender provides a tower for a quickly removed shrinker tool 
(same for the stretcher on the other side of the bench)

A rigid support tower for my guillotine

. . .  and all made from scrap, including the workbench which was rescued from a demolition.

Sunday, 17 February 2013

quarterlight window sill

 It has just occurred to me that I have done a few bits of scuttle metal work which I haven't recorded. Among them is the sill of the driver's side quarterlight. It was riddled with rust and so rather than bodge repair it, I decided to remove it and fabricate a replacement part.
Mine is more radiused, less sharp-angled than Mr Morris's, but I think he got that wrong. The radiuses on mine are similar to the ones edging the windscreen. Also, I used thicker material, so I think it ought to add strength. I have decided that I like it so much I am making one for the other side, even though that one is in ok condition.

Will weld it in next weekend. Will also then fit starter motor and coil.