Sunday, 13 July 2008

Dash it!

Finally, after a month of inactivity on the van and having handed the Magpie blog over to Magpie himself, I got down to the workshop yesterday and removed all the instruments from the dash. I struggled with one pull-push switch, which just would not come out. I got it off today, by brute force, unfortunately; there was really no alternative. I had first established from the manual that it was not an original fitting.

Today I cleaned up the dash, removed sticky binding from the stearing wheel and red-oxided the metalwork on the outside and hammerited the internal surfaces.

I am going to do it in a black crinkle finish, as Truman did so beautifully. I don't know if that is done over red oxide. I just took a gamble.

1 comment:

magpie said...

great progress Tinworm, and Truman is alive!