After many years passionate restoration, and several more when little has happened, I think it is finally time to sell the project. Someone else will have to finish it.
Tuesday, 21 August 2012
We didn't get on with the van until late today because I went flying instead. (You will remember that flying put this project on hold for four years!)
Martin and I put the shocks on.
We were going to put it down on its wheels today until, leaning on one back wheel revealed that it did not have its castle nut on the end of the axle!! Goodness knows where I put that, so tomorrow I am off to the MG parts place to see if I can get some, along with some hydraulics banjos.
As I am trying to bring the story up to date....rather than just going forward, day by day...I recommend keen readers follow the links (1st one below) at the foot of each numbered posting...or select the numbered chapters of interest from the archive. 1st installment tells how the project started. I will increasingly provide links within the text to help you get around. This is a work in progress.
Good grief! As I winched it on to the transporter, blokes standing around assumed I was taking it to be crushed!
For other metalwork projects, including my car-b-que, click here.
The correct 101 face
Not mine, but mine will be similar
The more astute among you will have noticed that my 101 images actually have the Morris JB front panel. My 101 came with a JB panel and evidence of accident damage, so presumably, as fewer 101 panels were ever in circulation, a JB panel was used as a replacement?
The Austin 101 was a badge-engineered Morris JB, which in turn was a J Type van with an OHV B Series engine and 4 speed gearbox, in place of the sidevalve and 3 speed of the original J.
I now have both the JB panel and an ex-stock 101 one which I bought from a fellow restorer.
The Austin 101 Express Delivery Van (launched 1957)
John, Me, Carl and Paul (from left)...the day we got the van into a plot of land next to my workshop, having towed it from John's and then manoeuvred it through two gardens because I don't have road access!
I have now activated the comments section so that you can leave feedback, etc. Look forward to your responses. Many thanks to those who have emailed until now. You can still email if you prefer.
I agree an alias with anybody I refer to on my blog because I decided to give myself my alias, Tinworm, after attracting the atttentions of a very unpleasant stalker last year. I'd like to be able to call people by their real names, but I really advise against anyone using them online these days. Seems such a shame, not least of all because there are so many I'd like to be able to thank here. Real names (with one notable exception) have been used only with agreement with their owners.
Since writing the above I have bought a microlight which is registered with the CAA, which publishes the register online....making my anonymity impossible to keep. So increasingly I will be less guarded, but I will continue to respect the aliases of others.
I assert copyright for the text of this site. You are welcome to copy material for private use but as I am planning to write a book on the project, nothing here may be used in any publication without prior consent.
Some pictures on this site are not mine, but have been found on google. I do not assert copyright over anything I have not written, filmed or photographed myself.
Peter Eveleigh (Tinworm) 2009
Morris sold the chassis and scuttles to commercial users to be coach-built as ambulances, butchers' shops, mobile snack bars, ice-cream vans and, like mine, milk-floats.
copyright of Harvey Pitcher
copyright of Harvey Pitcher
Mine will have looked a lot like the milkfloat above, once.... Except, of course, this is a JB, not a 101.
The Coachbuilder's Autograph
A highlight of the restoration - the discovery of the coachbuilder's autograph in pencil on an upright in the cab, when I stripped some aluminium skin off.